Employee Job Satisfaction, Its Effect on Organizational Productivity
Employee Job Satisfaction – Workers plight in the country today has left many well meaning Nigeria with many question some of these questions are how to satisfy our workers in their various establishments.
More so how secured are jobs in the hands of employee in the public and private sector. Is there anything like job security these day? Experience and observations have been witnessed mass retrenchment in all the sector of economy.
Employees have adopted mass retrenchment as only visible solution to solve the problem.
Obviously the truth is that there is no more job satisfaction among workers and employer. The reasons being that unsatisfied feelings and measured nature of their job. In the light of the above circumstance, it will be very difficult. If not possible for workers facing the delima to dedicate and committed to their job.
It will be very difficult for such employer to integrates their corporate objective with the individual workers.
The moment workers objective collided with organizational objectives this will led to bifurcation of objective.
This term bifurcation of objective is very dangerous in both productivity and industrial harmony. It is simply means that workers personal interest are vigorously pursed.
How ever this study is based on the first three human needs theory propounded by Maslow. These are the physiological needs, safety needs, esteem need, belonging need of Abraham Maslow.
It is important to hold a constant factor other than the nature of work in company device, from hob varying in level of skills and complexing, since job satisfaction is very greatly in the satisfaction and degree of commitment.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
In the course of this work the researcher identify some key factors that will help identify the effect of employees job satisfaction on organizational productivity in union bank Nigeria Plc. Enugu.
- To find out if the existence of job satisfaction the selected organization effects the organizational productivity.
- To discover if there is any force in workers ability towards the organizational productivity.
- To find out if management of various selected industry, have in any contribution to the plight of workers ineffectiveness in job satisfaction.
Therefore the researcher will center on the above identified problems and other factor, which might be discovered in the course of the investigation based on the effect of employees job satisfaction on organizational productivity view to identifying issues and prospect as the affects.
- Provision of welfare
- In consistency, in pigment of workers salaries
- Workers attitudes to work.
- Wages and salaries administration
- Promotional policy in selected industry
- Features and prospects in encouraging workers.
More so, high lighten suggestion for general existing policies and amendment of existing policies and regulation where the needs arise. This will enhance mutual understanding and peaceful co-existence between management and workers of the organization.
THE PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
These study is designed to investigate the effect of employees job satisfaction on organizational productivity in the selected business enterprise in Enugu with view to identifying issues and prospect as the affects.
- provision of welfare
- in consistency, in payment of workers salaries
- workers attitudes to work
- wages and salaries administration
- promotional policy in selected industry
- features and prospects in encouraging workers.
More so, high lighten suggestion for general existing policies and amendment of existing polices and regulation where the needs arise. This will enhance mutual understanding and peaceful co-existence between management and the workers of the organization.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The findings from the study serves as a reference for future researchers who may while wish to explore the subject. This will enable them to get feedback regarding the effectiveness of the subsequent policy formulation and planning.
The employee themselves will find this study very useful it will the need arise. The motivational tendency of workers to feel that their effort and welfare have been recognized in an organization.
It will also give the employees the idea of what to expect the management to do for them and also serve as a guide enabling them set limit to their unnecessary demands.
The employee will serve the effort of any of the management and restores sanity to organization productivity. The workers used for the study should not only be useful at a practical level but all in the theory where it would assist in propagating knowledge in workers job satisfaction. It would also constitute a useful and interesting text in library. The study would also provide a data base for future research work.
THE SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study was limited to three selected business enterprise in Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu state, to make researchers work easier to coordinate.
These selected industry are as follows
- Service industry
- Banking industry
- Production industry.
There are many motivational tools available in satisfying human being of various categories, in most establishment, but this study entirely based on studying those satisfaction that directly related to job satisfaction.
It is the objective of this study to know if:
- Whether the workers are attracted in the company
- workers are happy working with their company.
- The effects of workers are will recognized and rewarded.
- Whether workers are well paid by company.
- How banks staff and customers relate to one another.
THE DEFINITION OF IMPORTANT TERMS
- Output = The finished products production
- Input = The material composition finished product.
- Paradoxical = The result, that is the opposite of expectation.
- Psychological life = The driver in human life
- Drive = The motivational to act or carry out an action.
- Emotion = The inward feelings for outward observation.
- Job satisfaction = The total body of felling that an individual has about his job.
These feelings inverted in effect, weighing the sum total of influence of job.
- Job dissatisfied = When those some total of influence on job are non existence .
- Ethic = The professional rules or code of doing job/.
- Delima = The crucial state of incident
- Corporate objective = the company set goal.
- mirage = The deserving aspect of something
- Bifurcation of objective = When the corporate objective conflict with the workers objectives.
- Conceptualized = This means the imagine and visualized the presence of something in presence.
- Circulation flow = This means continuous movement.
- Interesting = The job or satisfaction and desire from doing something he likes.
REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
The traditional model of job satisfaction and dissatisfaction consist of the total body of feelings that an individual has about his job. This total body of feelings consist of weighing up the sum total of influence on the job, the nature of the job itself, the payment, the promotion prospects, the nature of supervision and so on for example the sum total of these influence give rises to the feelings of the individuals job satisfaction.
Thus, behaviour is basically goal oriented. It is motivated by a desire to attain some goal. This goal is the need which he wants to satisfy. In the case of needs, people are motivated not by what we think they ought to have but what they themselves want. Thus, the specific goal which motivates one to take a certain action is not always consciously known by the individual. Something we wonder “why did I do that? The reasons for our actions is not always apparent to the conscious mind to an outside observer, a persons need may be illusory or unscalistic, but they are still controlling. A path towards increased need fulfillment is a better approach.
Numerous studies have been conducted to investigate the relationship between job satisfaction / dissatisfaction and various organizational consequences in relation to productivity in union bank Plc.
THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN JOB SATISFACTION AND PERFORMANCE
Taylor F.N (1911) Assert that higher pay workers would lead to increase in productivity which meant high profits organization. There was all to accomplished through scientific method.
There are principle that make efficient production occur when manger.
1. Gives each worker a definite task to perform in definite time and definite manner.
2. Selected the proper workers for the task and trained them.
3. Motivate the workers to a high level performance by incentive method of payment.
Daniel Forman (1983) continues that there was strong relationship between job satisfaction and self esteem and important mental health. He found in the study that better and mental health was associated with higher and lower levels of satisfaction respectively.
Robert mert and Robert miceal (1976) in the study carried by Malvin L., John and Kami shower on the basis of interview with sample of our 3006 man respectively of all those employees in civilian occupation in united state of America.
The investigation reported that satisfaction is most likely when man is permitted adequate free to do their work as they think best.
Similarly Salah S.D (1964) asserted that when managerial employees reach the pre-refreshment age of between 60 and 65 years, the experience drops in the overall job satisfaction. This drop is explained by fact that while looking back over their camera.
Walker K and Manwth A (1951) Agrees that the comparison of factory satisfaction under mechanical controlled conditions which shows that substantial difference in favour of self controlled condition.
How ever the impact of expectation in job satisfaction cannot be fully analyzed method mentioning value concept. Following on the counseling M.N. (1976) opted that value are fulfillment of his job related value are based on his needs.
Centers R and Bugental D (1960) He filled that a higher occupational level are more intensive job factors. Such as worker itself and good opportunity, self expression were more valued than lower job level where extensive job characteristic such as pay security assumed more important for the employees.
Abraham Karman (1977) asserted that the greater the variation in job, contents the greater the level of satisfaction of the individual involved in the performance of the job.
The conclusion came up with after survey of workers in automobile assembly plants.
THE IMPACT OF DISSATISFACTION OF WORKERS IN AN ORGANISATION (UNION BANK NIGERIA PLC).
Employee has various means to demonstrate their dissatisfaction with the condition of workers among the various ways to exhibit dissatisfaction are as follows.
1. LABOUR TURNOVER: The labour turn over of an organistion (union Bank Plc) increased when workers did not achieve objectives.
An employee pointed on organization with hope that organization will help in achieving his personal objective.
2. PRODUCTIVITY: It is a commonly hold view that production is working with motivation.
Bullet and Herbart (1981) stated that a satisfied work is a work group put forth better work, which in turn improve productivity.
- Employer Grievance: According to Edwin Fippo a grievance is any discontent whether valid or not arising out of any connected with the organizational and it rules that an employer think believes or even feels in unfair unjust or equitable.
SOME MOTIVATION THEORIES AND THEIR IMPLICATION IN NIGERIA.
Theories are formulated as solution to problems. Once theory is formed, it must have a universal application in any given environmental condition.
The theories of motivation cannot be exception but the velocity off some theory have been challenged and criticized by many workers. Some of them are not operational in the Nigeria contact.
A discussion of satisfaction will be incomplete without mentioning the compactory theory put forward by Victor H. Vroom HV. (1964) tries to throw more light on understanding of human beings that motivate them into action at a particular period. He suggested that a person given motivation towards an action at a given time could determined by his anticipated value of all out come (both negative and positive) of action multiple by strength of that person expects that out come would yield desired goals.
In order words he argued that motivation was the product of anticipated worth of person out come of action and perceived probability the person goals will be achieved.
Vroom view performance as a unction of ability and motivation this can illustrated thus:
P =F (AM)
Where P = Performance
F = Function
A = Ability
M = Motivation.
Natural human beings embarks in any action anticipation of out come could be in the turn of reward of punishment. In either case human being actual values to such out come.
The degree of value of person place high values to overcome. It could be zero, if no value is already to the out come and it could be negative if the person absolutely dislike the come.
An out come could be extrinsic if the out come is existing to the individual. For example salary intrinsic
The outcome could come within the person for example Egoistic value among the outcome which Vroom highlights were salary promotion fringe benefit personal by directed from the work itself supportiveness behavior.
Although Vroom it sound may be reality and consistence with management of human resources in the research view. It application will be complex and difficult.
In conclusion Ejofor P.N.O (1981) high lighten the implication of Vroom are
- The organization must hold out reward desired by the workers
- The workers must be achieved and immediately as possible that is there should be not be delay in rewarding succession out come.
- The worker perceived that the desire a reward can be obtained only through efforts.
ABRAHAM MASLOW THEORY OF HUMAN MOTIVATION
One of the most revered conceptual models which focus as satisfaction of human needs, is the one postulated by Abraham Mass low.
Gulliet CR and Hick H.G (1981) asserted the following proposition about human behavior.
- Human is working beings. His life style is predominately directed towards satisfying the various wants. They always want and want more. As soon as one want is satisfied another emerge it place. Although a particular need can be satisfied need in general can be satisfied.
- Human needs are arranged in the hierarchy of importance. As soon as the lower level are related fulfillment, those in the high level emerge and required satisfaction.
- A satisfied need is not a motivation behavior only unsatisfied needs motivated person to perform. The following categories of the need make up mansloco. Physiological need, safety needs, cover and social need, esteem and self actualization…………………………………………..
—-This article is not complete———–This article is not complete————
This article was extracted from a Project Research Work Topic
“THE EFFECT OF EMPLOYEE JOB SATISFACTION ON ORGANIZATIONAL PRODUCTIVITY (A CASE STUDY OF UNION BANK NIGERIA PLC, ENUGU BRANCH).”
To purchase complete Project Materials, Pay the sum of N5, 000 to our bank accounts below:
BANK NAME: GUARANTY TRUST BANK (GTB)
ACCOUNT NAME: CHIBUZOR TOCHI ONYEMENAM
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 0044056891
BANK NAME: FIRST BANK PLC
ACCOUNT NAME: CHIBUZOR TOCHI ONYEMENAM
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 3066880122
After paying the sum of N5, 000 into any of our bank accounts, send the below details to our email address: 07033378184 and email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Your Depositors Name
2. Teller Number
3. Amount Paid
4. Project Topic
5. Your Email Address
Send the above details to: 07033378184 or on/before 24hours of payment. We will send your complete project materials to your email.
For Inquiries call – 07033378184
Employee Job Satisfaction, Its Effect on Organizational Productivity