THE APPRAISAL OF MAN POWER TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (A CASE STUDY OF ANAMMCO ENUGU)
The fundamental reason behind human resources, management is to make the best use of operational experience of the employee. Some times we can see that the workers may not have appropriate skills, definite experience or knowledge to perform a particular job. And he/she is been required an affective performance do his assigned duties or responsibilities. Therefore, the employee may find it difficult to meet their expectation. Out if the employees under go some certain training and development , I ca assure you that he/she will meet the required standard the organization wants.
A Bedelam defined training as the organized procedure by which people learn knowledge and skill definite purpose . He emphasized that training carried out in order to achieve a change in the behaviour of the trained .
Fiedle F.E. (1993) stated that training motivated workers to work harder and employees who know their job are likely to higher morale.
According to Nwachukeu (1988) he stated that training is an organizational effect aimed at helping an employee to acquire basic skills required for the effective execution of the functions for which he was employee. Development as we say deals with the activities undertaken to expose on employee to perform additional duties and assume positions of importance in the organization.
Abel ubeku sees training and development as a continuous process believing that money spent on training and development is money well spent the believed that any employees who have not received adequate training before being assigned with responsibility lacks the necessary tools and confidence with which to carry out the work.
Bendian (1987) in his book management quote that, effective staying and human resources management contributes to the accomplishment of organization ‘s objectives in a number of important ways.
Beach (1980) highlighted this he said for an enterprise to compete successfully, it is services and products, have to pass other without well planned and executed resources development own organization cannot with stand stiff competition and provide itself with skills required to meet technological changes.
In every organization, no matter the size must engage in manpower development. This sufficiently brought out by uket (1961) when they write “management development is not by choice or fringe, benefit for profitable and large organization. It is a must that a requirement and process impose on the company as result of organizational growth, changing technology and competitive environment in its broadcast sense. An organization should not therefore wait unit it becomes big before it embarks on human resources development .
The objective of any training programme Dalay (1958) said “An objective is like a compass bearing by which a ship Navigates. This compass bearing itself is firm pointing in a straight living towards the desired post. It means that the objective development programmes must be clearly set out before embarking on it for to succeed. This view was strongly supported by carter when he stated “the design of training must being with and examination of the company’s plans for these indicate the way in which jobs are likely to change in the other without well planned and executed resources development an organization cannot withstand stiff competition and provide itself with skills required to meet technological changes.
In every organization, no matter the size must engage in manpower development. This sufficiently brought out by uket (1961) when they wrote, “management development is not by choice or fringe benefit for profitable and large organization. It is a must that a requirement and process impose on the company as result of organizational growth changing technology and competitive environment in its broadcast sense. An organization should not therefore wait unit it becomes big before it embarks on human resources development .
The objective of any training programme Daley (1958) said “An objective is like a compass bearing by which a ship Navigates. This compass bearing itself is firm pointing in a straight line towards the desired post. It means that the objectives development programmes must be clearly set out before embarking on it for it to succeed. This view was strongly supported by carter when he stated, “the design of training must being with and examination of the company’s plans for these will indicate the way in which jobs are likely to change in the future, both in terms of types of work done and number of the personnel required.
2.1 THE ORIGIN OF THE SUBJECT AREA.
Training and development is aimed at achieving the following
- Increased productivity
- Improve the quality of work and raise moral
- Bring incumbents to the appropriate level of performance for the job
- Reduce waste, accident, turn cover and other head cost
- Ensure the survival of the organization and advantage of its growth (millins R.C 1970)
From the above objective, it is imperative that employee should be trained as they may not have had any previous or sufficient experience to face the tesk required in their job.
Training offers a dual dimensional function
- To develop the potential of employees
- To overcome deficient in individuals that cannot be self remedied or mastered on the job even the supervisors.
- SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT WITHIN THE SUBJECT AREA
- Training leads to greater efficiency to the whole concern.
- It improves the morale of staff
- It increases loyalty and adaptability of staff
- It enhances the reputation of the firm
- It assists the recruitment of staff and ensure a better quality of applicant
- THE SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT RELEVANT TO THE PROBLEM OF STUDY
According to J.O Horus and levnard R. They said that most of this thought have been formulated by psychologist.
- MOTIVATED: An employee is more active in learning, if he is motivated. For employee to be motivated, training must relevant to what he is currently and what he expects to be in the future.
- REINFORCEMENT: This is as important as motivation in training pprogramme. Training programme should be rain forced by means of encouragement, record and or punishment. Successful traince must be currently rewarded. Commendation, negative rewards.
- FEED BACK : For every training, there must be feed back or knowledge of results. To strains and sayles, feedback should be presented in a non-threatening environment. The learner should be made to understand that mistakes will not cost him dearly and that difficulties in learning are natural and hence expected.
The Authors also said that feedback should be provided by supervisor on a continuing basis and not just during the so called training period.
- LEARNING BY DOING: Active participation by the traince is very important and necessary in the training process. To strans and sayles “learning is most efficient when the leaner is actively involved in learning process rather than merely listening to description of it.
- MANAGEMENT TRAINING : This is specially meant for those in management center. The management training cause is filled principally by most successful of the graduates and student apprentices.
- DIFFERENT METHODS OF STUDYING THE PROBLEM
- ON THE JOB TRAINING: As the name implied training takes places right on the job. It is the most popular one could have, this process therefore does not disrupt normal operation.
- VESTIBULE TRAINING: This is a training device that trains the employees of his regular work area in the environment choosey resembling his work. He practices his skill with identical equipment that he uses at his regular work place. One of the advantages is that costly mistakes are avoided.
- ROLE PLAYING: This is a training technique where the traince plays the part of a certain character acts in an event. He is thought to do a job or make decision the way he thinks his boss could have made it. Role playing is very occulting as it challenge the imagination of the employee.
- JOB ROTATION : This is a training devices that makes it necessary to move the tranice from one department or unit to another to master what goes on in the section. The essence of his programme is to broaden his experience in different jobs.
METHOD OF TRAINING
The use of a particular method is normally determined by the kind of behaviour to be acquired (motor skills) concepts; inter-personal skills.
COACHING: The coaching process is a relationship of “give and take” between the subordinates and his superior.
LECTURES : Manager for instance need training and development is areas as communication, motivation and leadership
DEMONSTRATION: This is a planned presentation that shows the employee has to perform and act skill or procedure. This method is accompanied involvement and questions.
Why trying to summarized, we have to get a picture of the situation before training and after according to c.c
- PEOPLE’S ATTITUDE : learning ability, attitude options, facings, prejudices and behaviours reaction to solutions.
- Product : Quality improvement or otherwise quality increase.
- Purpose of goal : Achieving changes in point of view, developing skill, determination knowledge, organizational atmosphere and developing
- PRACTICE PERFORMANCE METHOD : Trendier performance ability to gain acceptance, under standing and use of methods, ability to develop content.